Thursday, October 11

Sleepless Nights

2 am. That's what time I finally got out of bed last night and came downstairs, giving in to the fact that attaining any sleep was highly unlikely. That's right, we have experienced our very first truly horrendous night. We made the mistake of letting Brooklyn sleep too much during the early evening hours, and at bedtime I paid a high price. Brooklyn was restless much of the evening, and no amount of nursing, snuggling, or pacifying her could convince her to settle into a sound sleep. Thankfully, Mary was kind enough to take the boys to the park this morning, allowing me to sleep for a couple hours this morning. I've been very grateful for her help this week. I've healed rather rapidly, much faster than I expected. I had anticipated several weeks of restricted activity, but at 1 weeks postpartum, and only 4 days out of the hospital, I'm feeling *almost* back to normal. I'm not technically allowed to drive yet, and certainly doing any heavy lifting is out of the question, but I haven't taken anything for pain in almost two days, and that's a wonderful feeling. I have so enjoyed being home with my three kids, and being able to spend lots of quality time with them. So far the boys are handling the transition beautifully, doting on their little sister and being helpful to me. Jeremy has fully stepped into the 'big brother' role that he wears so well and been wonderful to help me get things from around the house, help Kadon with whatever he can, and generally be really good natured. Kadon, who I had feared would react badly to a small invader, has instead reacted with a great love for his little sister. He is constantly wanting to know where she is, why she is crying, and if he can hold her. He regularly plants tiny kisses on her forehead, and is interested in everything she does. Of course, he is convinced that she eats from my belly, and should be able to sleep in his bed, not mine, and occasionally his 'loves' and more like mauling, but it's been wonderful.

No comments: