Sunday, May 9

Angels

I've written several times about Ammon's pseudo-adopted brother John and his family. John is a family friend from New York days, and over the years has become a huge part of our family. I am honored to be included as a family member in their eyes, and even though Ammon and John were formed in different bodies out of different genes-they were brothers in every sense of the word.

Two weeks ago, John's family was involved in a car accident on the interstate. Two other cars lost control next to them, and the van that John's wife Janice was driving ended up on the bad end of a mini-cooper and the concrete interstate barrier. It was raining heavily that day, and Janice told me later that in her efforts to avoid being hit, her van started to lose control and they were fishtailing down the interstate. Janice was certain that their van-containing Janice and the 5 children-would flip. Miraculously, it didn't. Even more miraculous-with the exception of some back and neck pain, a few seat belt burns, and some bruises-everybody in the car was fine.

Over the next few days, many errands were run and phone calls were made. In conversation with her five-year-old son Jarin one afternoon, Jarin made a startling proclamation. Janice was recounting her fear that the van would flip when Jarin piped in "That's when the angels pushed our car." Startled, Janice asked for clarification. "Angels? How many angels?" Jarin, deep in thought, answered after a moment: "Five".

I know there are people who read this blog who don't believe in angels, but I do. I believe they're all around us, and I only had one question for Jarin when I heard this story. "Did any of the angels look like Uncle Ammon?" Jarin couldn't remember, but together Janice and I marveled at the miracle of protective angels and the likelihood that my husband had been one of them.

Yesterday, John and Janice attended the temple in the morning, then drove to my other sister in law Angela's house for a family birthday celebration. Once they arrived, John pulled me aside and with tears in his eyes, told me that while he was in the temple that morning, he had received a powerful witness that indeed their had been angels that protected his family that day. Furthermore, he also knew that one of them was his departed brother.



Today is Mother's Day. I was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast while the kids puttered around in their various breakfast activities. The kitchen was bustling with noise and activity, and my mind wandered over the conversation I had with John yesterday. Suddenly, I received an overwhelming feeling that not only had Ammon protected our family members that day-but that he is present much more often than that. It's been a long time since I strongly felt his presence-but I'm certain that Ammon was in my kitchen this morning. Through new eyes, I looked at our children. They have grown so much in the last 2 years and 4 weeks. Jeremy had just turned five, Kadon was barely three, and Brooklyn was a tiny 6 month old creature who was still wearing newborn clothes. Now the boys are robust and school aged and Brooklyn has morphed into a walking, talking toddler. Usually when I reflect on how much the kids have changed since he left us I end up feeling cheated, sad, and angry. This morning I am certain that although Ammon hasn't been present in the more traditional way-he hasn't missed a moment of his children's lives. He has been here watching all of us every step of the way, and has helped where he could. Like a group of mighty angels that have the power to hold back a van careening out of control-Ammon has been guiding and protecting our family.

I still miss him deeply, but I am also fiercely proud of the life we've built without him. We have truly made lemonade out of the batch of lemons that were dealt to us, and we will strive to continue doing that forever. It's comforting to know that he is on our side. It's comforting to know-without a doubt-that he is protecting us and those around us. I'm grateful that John and Janice's family was kept safe-but right this moment I'm even more grateful for a testimony of angelic presences in our lives, and for the surety I have that my beloved husband is one of them.

8 comments:

Our Crazy Family said...

Absolutely Amazing. I am so glad you shared that with us.

Dominoe said...

So beautiful, Victoria. I love when we have those moments in our lives that we know without a doubt a bit of heaven was a part of it. What a sweet Mother's Day gift to you from your sweetheart. Thanks for sharing.

SarahAnne said...

Thank you for sharing this, Victoria. I'm reminded of a tender experience early in my married life when we just had Caleb and I was pregnant with Amber. I needed a spiritual reminder today.

Alisha said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story. It's always amazing to me how thin the veil is for children. If only we all could have the faith of a child. I am so happy you were able to feel Ammon's presence. Happy Mother's Day! You are truly an amazing mother raising amazing kids!

Jessica said...

i'm crying right now -- thank you for posting this. i never really considered the idea of angels all that much until last year when one of the conference talks i taught for r.s. was "the ministering of angels." that talk -- and lesson -- left such a powerful impression on my mind, and your post has just done the same. you and your family (both your immediate and "pseudo" ones) are remarkable.

Anna Dutson said...

Thanks for sharing that. What a sweet story and a great reminder that we do have angels all around us!

Mimi Collett said...

Thank you for sharing that Victoria. I definitely believe in angels, too.

Who Dat Girl said...

Thanks for posting this, V. I know that you & Janice are like family but didn't realize John & Ammon were like brothers...and I knew about the accident (but not in great detail). It took me a 2nd read before I was able to put everything together. Once it hit me, I was amazed, and tearful!!

I especially love the part about angels pushing their van (out of danger).

Like the country song goes, I believe there are angels among us, and isn't it amazing when we have a revelation that one is right in our midst?!

Awesome blog.