Friday, December 14

Flu



The flu found our house this week. Poor Kadon came down with it on Saturday night. Ammon and I had been out for the evening enjoying a gift certificate given to us by Jan, when Kadon woke up crying at about 9:30. Ammon went in to settle him back to sleep, when he started throwing up. Ammon yelled for me, and when I arrived in his bedroom I was given the joyful opportunity to hold a towel beneath his mouth in order to catch the huge amounts of vomit he was emitting. Once we got that cleaned up, we dropped exhausted into bed, only to be awoken at about 1:30 to clean up diarrhea from the clean blankets on Kadon's bed. Never have I done so much laundry in the middle of the night as I did this night. Between Kadon being up at least three times between 1:30 and 7, and getting up with Brooklyn at least twice during the night, none of us were up to attending church on Sunday morning. None of us, perhaps, except Jeremy, who had slept through the entire ordeal, bless his heart. By Monday, we were patting ourselves on the back, congratulating ourselves on making it through another illness. Patting ourselves on the back, that is, until Kadon started vomiting again at about 6:30. After cleaning up yet another mess, and doing still more laundry, we again collapsed into bed. By Wednesday night, Ammon had missed half a day of work, and Jeremy spent the night awake with the same glorious combination of vomit and diarrhea. We spent Thursday lazing around the house, and doing several more loads of laundry in an attempt to stay ahead of the towels we had been using to mop up the various messes. Here we are, 10:45 on Friday night, and it appears as though Brooklyn is now coming down with the illness. So far no vomiting from her, and it's almost impossible to identify diarrhea on a strictly breastfed baby, but she does have a very pitiful "I feel yucky" sort of whimper, between her many naps today. I'm hoping we all recover sufficiently to attend the ward Christmas party tomorrow night, but I'm not holding my breath. Holding my nose, yes, but not my breath. Hopefully I can continue to avoid the plague this time around.

No comments: