Saturday, December 5

Card Carrying?

Since I became a member of the Fellows clan when Ammon and I started dating almost 10 years ago, my new family has overlooked a multitude of inadequacies on my part. First came the long, long list of classic movies that I have never seen. It's gotten to be a family joke--somebody will mention a plot line or quote a movie, and I'll present a puzzled look on my face. They'll say "You know, from _______ (fill in the blank of classic movie here)? Oh, of course, you haven't seen it. Never mind."

Then came the revelation that I'm not a big fan of ice cream. Oh, I like it alright, and before Ammon died the in-laws had no reason to know of my secret apathy--our freezer was always stocked with the creamy stuff, courtesy of the man of the house. After he died, though, my secret was out. I never have ice cream in the house, and I don't miss it.

There is my dislike of puzzles, a favorite Fellows Family pastime.

There is my basic ineptitude for household tasks, and ignorance of how to use tools correctly. I can't Spackle, drive a nail, or build a bookcase.

All of these things, they overlook. They accept my various failings, and love me regardless.

This time, I think I'm going to lose my membership card.

You see, the Fellows take their food traditions very seriously. I already mentioned ice cream, but I left it's partner in crime out of the mix--popcorn. It works in my favor that I love Fellows Popcorn, but I'm unable to duplicate it. It's a very specific recipe, and it's never to be varied. There is Grandma Fellows' Pecan Pie. Again, a delicacy that I fully appreciate, but have never made myself. Near the top of the food list is New Hope Mills Pancakes. I've eaten New Hope Mills for the length of my marriage, and considered myself a faithful follower. This morning, though, I broke the mold.

I tried this recipe. And y'all? Best. Pancakes. I. Have. Ever. Had. No joke. Beats the pants off of New Hope Mills.

I'm not sure The Clan will be able to overlook this one.

What do you say, guys, is Cornell Chicken enough to hold us together?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... Maybe. You might have to be isolated for this. I guess since this is a make from scratch recipe you should be OK. If you ever find a 'mix' that you prefer over New Hope Mills, then we'll have to talk. ;)

Anonymous said...

Due to the special circumstances in this case, you may retain your card for a probationary period. Please try to avoid such issues in the future. Thank you for your concern. -Lisa

Russ and Mary said...

I reserve the right to make that determination after I have tried the recipe. I'll let you know the results of my findings. The ice cream is a major issue but acceptable when you are all so slim and beautiful but there are limits.

Victoria said...

Garsh, guys! I'm just tickled that I get to stay in The Clan! Thanks for keeping me around. :-)

Susan said...

Ok, the pancake recipe sounds wonderful. I'm printing and will be trying. Need to find good buttermilk ;)