Monday, September 10

It's a plane!




A couple of weeks ago we had the opportunity to attend the Dayton RC Airplane show. I have never attended an RC airplane show before, and only a military air show once, so I really had no idea what to expect. Uncertainty aside, we loaded up Russ and the kids, made arrangements to meet Angela and her family, and set out for the show. Our first mistake? Not taking any foldable chairs. When they say 'air show', what they actually mean is a bunch of guys standing in front of the airstrip flying their RC planes. These RC airplanes are not your normal planes, they cost several thousand dollars and are capable of maneuvers most aircraft could only dream of. They vary in size from the small, to the obscenely huge, as you can see in the second picture up above. There are as many as five or six planes flying at a time, and the best part of the show is watching the different stunts they pull off. For an almost 8 month pregnant woman, standing is not a lot of fun. I ended up sitting on the ground next to the stroller while everybody else wandered around taking in the various booths. At one point a kind woman offered her husbands chair to me, but by then I was settled on the ground and didn't want to get up. We spent several pleasant moments discussing pregnancy, children, and airplanes, and I was grateful for her kindness.
Our second mistake? Not bringing any cold water with us. This, my friends, is out of character for me. I'm normally the water queen. I loathe among almost all other things the feeling of being thirsty, so I normally am over prepared with ice cold water for everybody that will be with me. This time, Russ took pity on our group and purchased several bottles of Sprite and Powerade to quench our thirst.
Mistakes aside, it was a really great opportunity. As you can see from the first picture, the kids had a great time watching the planes fly, and it even spawned a craft project for us last Friday. The kids each chose a piece of construction paper, then colored it and put stickers on it. After their artwork was completed, Ammon folded them into sleek airplanes, and they had a great time chasing each other around the yard with them.

No comments: