Tuesday, October 6

General Conference

I know I have many readers of this blog that are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Many of you are aware that I am a member, but I'm sure there are a few that aren't. I have tried to remain carefully non-confrontational when I discuss my faith here because I feel it is more important to share my journey with grief honestly and openly, than risk losing readers by making my personal blog a missionary tool. I still feel that way. I don't wish to alienate the loyal non-member readers I have by preaching about a gospel that has sustained me through the worst loss of my life. To have each of you know that it HAS, in fact, sustained me is enough.


Most of the time, that is.


This past weekend was a glorious spiritual feast for me. Every six months, the leaders of our church-including the living prophet-gather together in Salt Lake City, Utah, and broadcast five meetings. They are each two hours in length, with two each on Saturday and Sunday, and the fifth session being held Saturday night. The fifth session is focused on the men in our church. The weekend before General Conference, there is a similiar meeting focused for the women in our church, which I attended. To Latter Day Saints outside Utah, conference can be viewed either in a broadcast at their local LDS church building, or can be accessed on the Internet. I was grateful to be able to enjoy the inspiring talks from the comfort of my couch, and thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself in my faith for two days.


When I heard this talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, it made me squirm in my seat. He gave the single most powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon that I have ever heard. I have embedded a clip here, and I hope that whatever your religious stance-you will take the time to view it. It's a powerful testimony, and even if you don't feel the same, his faith is a beautiful thing to witness.

The reason for my squirming?  Have I done the same?  Have I gone forth, before the world, and declared my testimony not only of this book, but of this church? 

I know that posting this video, and this testimony, on my blog is not declaring anything before the world.  But it's a start, and it's a reminder to myself to be more open about my faith.  I think oftentimes I don't want to be seen as a zealot, or alienate my friends and neighbors by 'pushing' my faith on them, and that hasn't changed.  I do feel the need to declare this, though:

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I believe with all my heart that Joseph Smith went into the woods to pray, and God and Jesus Christ appear to him.  I believe that was he was directed to find and obtain the Plates of Brass, and that from those he was able to translate modern day scripture-the Book of Mormon.  This book, these words, are true.  I base my life around its teachings, and find unspeakable comfort in its passages.  There are now true ways about it.  Each of us has the right and the obligation to make our own religious choices, and I would be remiss to remove that choice.  It doesn't change the truth of this book, or the truthfulness of this church. 

I know it. 

Now you know that I know it too.

3 comments:

SarahAnne said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. (HUGS)

Mimi Collett said...

Thanks for sharing that Victoria!!

(And I'm sorry my husband honked at you and yelled "woman." He didn't train well in husband school . . .) Hehe And thanks for putting my books in the box! (At least I assume you did. Unless you weren't laughing with Jeff, you were laughing at me for trusting you with my library books and now I'll get huge overdue fines. Dang.) Haha :)

Victoria said...

Michelle-honestly, I didn't hear him yell woman. And if I had, I would have heard it as a term on endearment, since it's what my Dad has called my Mom for as long as I can remember.

And I can't believe you caught on to my ploy to NOT put your books in the book drop. I brought them home to read myself. They're MINE, I tell you, MINE!
I did get a little chuckle, though, when I read your blog post earlier and thought "Hmm, I remember putting some of those titles in the book drop earlier today....glad she enjoyed them!" LOL