Thursday, November 12

Because It's Right

This week has been Take a Friend Week at the YMCA I attend. I made several phone calls to some of my friends that don't have memberships, and tried to round up a crew to go try out some classes. I didn't have much success, but I did find one friend who faithfully came to all but one of the classes I did this week--and that was a LOT! I'm already impressed with her intellect, her grace, and her sense of humor--and especially her friendship, and her willingness to spend basically every morning this week at the gym with me was icing on the cake.

Today, though, that icing got even thicker--and turned into chocolate. It was awesome.

We attended spinning this morning, the second time for my friend and many more than that for me. I have noticed in the past that this instructor tends to choose music that has swear words in it--a fact that I attribute both to the style of 'fitness' music that is available, and an insensitivity on her part to the meaning behind the words. I don't think this instructor chooses the music she does to be offensive, I think she simply doesn't realize that to some of us--it is. In the past I have been mildly irritated that some of the music choices make me uncomfortable, but I have never considered doing anything about it. I assumed myself to be in the minority, and let my desire to not 'rock the boat' win.

Today, my friend showed me what true commitment and true morals look like. About midway through the 40 minute class, a particularly offensive song started playing. I thought to myself 'Boy, this is really vulgar!', and kept pedaling. As soon as I finished the thought, I glanced to my left to see my friend dismounting her bike and walking out of the room. Chagrined, I wondered if her exit was a reaction to the song--a fact that was confirmed when a few seconds later the teacher followed her out in the hall to see if she was okay, and reported back that my friend had left because she couldn't stand the music. I was embarrassed--both for the teacher and the YMCA, but also for myself. I should have also walked out of that class. I should have made my stand weeks ago, before I brought a friend with me to experience it.

My friend stayed out the rest of the class. After we finished exercising for the day, I went to the front desk and politely but firmly requested that the instructors in general, but particularly this one, be made aware that their music choices are not acceptable. I told the manager that I don't choose to listen to that type of music at home, and I don't wish to be subjected to it at the gym either. They were apologetic, and promised to talk to the instructor.

I love this instructor. I have great respect for her, and even now I'm a bit worried that she will suspect the complaint came from either me or my friend--and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm embarrassed a bit about that. I shouldn't be, though. I stood up for what was right--but it took a friend of mine making a tough choice to show me I needed to do it. Today, I'm grateful for that friend.

I'll be especially grateful if the lyrics of the songs we listen to in spinning improve.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Good for you and your friend!

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

go friend!!
(yes i know who it is but just in case you didn't mention her name for a reason...i won't mention it either)
i love this friend. and yes she is a great example.
and so are you. i'm glad you said something. good job:) i'm more the push-over type that shuts up.
plus... i'm so lazy.

Susan said...

Wow...good for your friend. I guess I would be the type that if it was too bad, just get up and leave and not tell them why which isn't right. I really respect your friend for doing that. And since the Y is so family friendly, hope you will see a change in the music next time.

Mimi Collett said...

I think you are a super nice person to offer the Y to your friends who want to work out with people and can't afford a membership! You're wonderful! :)