Wednesday, March 28

First Ultrasound

On Monday we went in for my first prenatal appointment. One of the main reasons I chose this doctor, aside from his sterling reputation, was the fact that I knew he does a 10 week ultrasound routinely on all of his patients. He likes to date the pregnancy in the beginning, instead of waiting until the traditional 20 week ultrasound. I was really apprehensive about this appointment. I think in most pregnant women there is a part of your brain that is terribly afraid, however irrationally, that there will be something wrong with the baby that is growing inside her uterus. I am not exempt from this fear, and as the day for my appointment neared, I became more and more preoccupied with the worry that there would be something wrong, or that there would be no heartbeat on the monitor. Thankfully, all of my fears were unfounded, and as soon as the doctor found the baby, he zoomed immediately in on a tiny, fluttering heart. My fears were immediately set to rest, and I enjoyed the rest of the ultrasound a great deal. To my great delight, the baby is measuring about five days ahead of my estimated due date, so the doctor went ahead and moved my date of delivery up by about five days. Just like that, I skipped almost a week! I wish ALL weeks in pregnancy were that easy! Anyway, now we're just in a holding pattern until my next ultrasound which will be in about 7-8 weeks. At that point, we can start making real plans! Ammon desperately wants another boy to complete our family-I would love to give him a girl just to mess with his neatly ordered world.

No comments: