Sunday, May 17

Time Out for Women

I wrote earlier today about the event that I was blessed and lucky enough to be part of this weekend--but I wanted to share a little more. I can't express how wonderful, how uplifting--how needed--this weekend was. I was in a huge convention center, surrounded by 1500 like-minded LDS women. We shared tears, spirits, and laughter hardy enough to make my sides ache. I feel re-charge and re-vitalized, prepared to take on my life with all it's ups and downs and make it my own. Make it a success. Make it something beautiful and worthy. I'll never be able to express to the presenters and the organizers, along with the women I worked with to help get the event set up, what an amazing experience it was to work with them. I'm forever changed for having attended this event.
The event started Friday afternoon after I got out of class, but when I tried to take pictures I realized my camera battery was dead. This was taken (early!) Saturday morning as Mary and I dropped Jenny Oaks Baker off at the airport. I heard her play such beautiful music on Saturday night that it brought tears to my eyes, and enjoyed chatting with her on the way to the airport. I'm sure she wouldn't thank me for this makeup-free picture, but I think she's still beautiful--inside and out.
This is myself with Julie and Heidi, two women that I was lucky enough to work with. Julie was the team lead for the entire event, and was responsible for bringing me on board. She's a good friend of mine from church and the gym (we Zumba together!), and I have SO enjoyed working more closely with her the last few months. Heidi I met for the first time on Friday night, but I already feel as though I know her. She lives in the area, and has started up a Mom's group for women who want to work together and do 5K and 10K races for charity. I'm looking forward to spending more time with both Julie and Heidi through this group in preparation for my 5K at the end of the summer.

This is Bobbye, and woman who touched me deeply at the temple a couple of months after Ammon died. She was in the right place at the right time, and recognized my terrible burden of grief without me saying a word. At the end of the temple session almost a year ago, this woman whom I had never met wordlessly held open her arms and held me while I sobbed. We shared some tender moments, and then I left. I thought never to see her again--but on Saturday morning, there she was. I pulled her aside and reminded her who I was, and we again shared tears. I'm so grateful for the people who have been placed in my path throughout the years. This woman is one who touched me deeply--she had no idea at the time how much.


This sister missionaries in our ward were able to attend the event, and sat near us. Sister Hovik leaves our area this week, and I'll miss her!

More friends from our ward--Joanna and Heather. They're sisters, and both dear friends of mine who have been there for me since Ammon died.

Laurel Christensen. Laurel, I know you're going to see this eventually, since you were kind enough to request (firmly!) my blog address. You touched my heart, Laurel. Your smile and kindness made a difference to me, and I wished we had time to sit and talk and talk. You're an amazing woman, and though we may never see each other again, you'll always hold a special place to me. Thank you, for everything.
This is S. Michael Wilcox. He was a presenter, and was so uplifting and comforting. He quoted the scripture that has meant so much to me over the years--the one that I had printed on the back of the funeral program for Ammon. His message, along with his sharing of that scripture--touched my heart, and I was grateful for it.
Hilary Weeks was amazing, kind, funny, and sweet in person. She's not what she appears to be from her albums--she's better! She had such kind words to say to me, words that nearly bowled me over coming from her. I'll share them later when I'm ready to share the story that brought her words on, but she was amazing and I'm grateful for the chance to meet her and spend a little time talking with her. You're an inspiration, Hilary!
Tailgating--Cincinnati style! The only way to eat lunch at TOFW? Tailgate style! We marshaled the troops attending from our ward (most of them) and shared some awesome food, and even better company. Even Chrislyn Woolston joined us, one of the head-honcho's in the TOFW world. What a great way to spend an afternoon!
I think one of the neatest talks of the whole event was this one by Kim Nelson. He was absolutely hysterical in a completely down-to-earth approachable way. Here I took a photo of his 'doily power'. He was trying to figure out a sure-fire way to connect with women, and decided a lacy, frilly doily was the best way to do so.
By the time he declared he was going to leave the doily crooked to irritate the 'doily nazis' and pulled out an enormous centerpiece of glass fruit to complete the look, we were all collectively rolling in the aisles. Later, he played rock music that he had recorded for his wife, and again made the tears roll. Interwoven throughout his hysterics, a touching message was given. I promise, Brother Nelson, to try to be kinder to myself. The whole time he spoke about being kinder to ourselves, I kept thinking about my Virtual Vent post.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Victoria - laughter and girlfriends....sometimes the best medication for a bad day!!!! Nothing feels better than to laugh. Good for you and for your weekend.

SarahAnne said...

(((HUGS))) I'm uplifted just reading your post. I bought one of the TOFW DVDs last year and it was the best purchase I've ever made for myself, as far as getting that encouragement and rejuvenation a mom/woman needs from time to time. I so hope to be able to attend in person one day. I'm SO GLAD you went, and that you were part of helping to pull it all together!

Laurel said...

i have loved peaking in on your life a little more...you're a great writer AND photographer. Your kids are adorable.
and...
a.) CONGRATS on the weight loss.
b.) THANK YOU for what YOU brought to the event. You're incredible.
c.) xoxo

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

Victoria-
I wish I would have found out about your blog earlier so I would have known you were speaking! Now I totally wish I would have been there!! How stinky. Do you know if anyone recorded it?
P.S. I am back in your ward as of next Sunday... so we can once again be the only girls there by ourselves with 3 kids.
Love ya, and can't wait to catch up with you on the past year:)

Karina Houser said...

Victoria, you are so lucky to have been such a big part of the TOFW event! I went to it in my area, and I would have loved to have driven Jenny Oaks Baker to the airport, or had my picture taken with Laurel (she is so funny!).

But mostly I wanted to tell you - I LOVE your hair! You look great!

Angie (aka seaturtle)