Wednesday, August 26

Popular Science

This is my favorite photo from our Mammoth Cave trip a couple of weeks ago. We had the fold-out bed that the cabin provided out on the front porch, because we simply didn't need that much sleeping space. It became a makes shift porch seat, and one evening when I was cleaning up dinner, I came across the boys reading Russ's Popular Science. I didn't say anything to them, but walked inside and quickly found my camera. I walked back out a few seconds later, praying they hadn't moved, and quickly snapped a shot. I didn't take a lot of time to frame the shot or zoom, because I wanted to catch them completely candidly. It turned out extremely well, in my opinion. It's nice, sometimes, to see the kids actually show affection for each other, rather than either fighting or just running around together.


Life is good. Getting busier by the day, but everything is going well. Jeremy started school on Monday, and so far seems to be enjoying his class. The first two days I packed lunches for him from home, today he asked to be allowed to eat the school provided lunch. We had a discussion about what was on the menu and what consists of a healthy choice. In the end, though, I'm trying to accept that I have to trust him to use what I've spent years teaching him about fruits, vegetables, and too much sugar, and make wise decisions. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit freaked out about it. Kadon is handling the transition to being home without Jeremy better than he did last year. So far we've spent every morning at the YMCA, and will continue to do so until I start school late next month. At this point, I'm looking forward to labor day and the week after, when Kadon starts his three-day-a-week preschool. After that, there is another short break before I start my fall classes.

I'm also dating. I've seen the same gentleman twice, and am cautiously excited about the possibilities. He hasn't met the kids yet, but it will happen soon. We're not worrying about titles or the future at this point, but it feels good to be near him, talk to him, and have him in my life. For now, that's enough for me. I'm enjoying exploring this new world.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh yah Victoria - glad to hear the note about dating......can we know how you met him? Or not yet? =) I know, us cyper readers are very nosy. I love the pic of your boys. With me having two boys who are now teenagers....I look back at pics such as this and it is a good thing.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

congrats victoria! can't wait to hear more details about this mystery man of yours:)
i left you a voicemail on your cell last night- it was late. did you get it?
nice to hear that your kids fight too. sometimes i feel like i am the only one who's kids spend the ENTIRE day yelling and screaming and hating eachother. i was so ready for nick to go back to school.

Mimi Collett said...

How does Kadon feel about your boyfriend? Last I heard, HE was your boyfriend. ;) Teasing aside, I'm glad you're out having fun. Let us know if you need a free babysitter. We're here!

That picture of your boys turned out great. :)