Thursday, August 20

Surgery

Kadon has had problems with ear infections nearly from birth. He was born in March, and his first winter he spent a grand total of about three weeks that he was healthy in the months between November and February. My the time he was 15 months old, he had been diagnosed with a form of asthma, and had surgery to insert a set of tubes in his ears to ease the constant infections. The tubes worked fabulously for a couple of years, but in the last six months since they fell out, he has had more ear infections, eardrum ruptures, and hearing loss. I consulted with an Ear Nose and Throat doctor here in Cincinnati, and he agreed immediately that it was time for Kadon to have a second set of tubes, along with removing his adenoids, which are glands in the back of the sinus passages that can become swollen and contribute to the excessive fluid and bacteria that can cause ear infections. The surgery was scheduled for Tuesday morning, and my sister Erin flew out from Las Vegas to spend some time with us, and help with the surgery. I left Jeremy and Brooklyn at home with my niece Janelle, and spent the morning with Erin and Kadon at the Children's Hospital.

I was so impressed with the quality of care that Kadon received on Tuesday. All the nurses spoke to him directly, and explained things using words that he could understand. He was able to choose a stuffed animal within our first few minutes there, then was given another chance to choose a video to watch and a box of toys to play with. He willingly put on his hospital gown and played on the floor of the room while we waited for the surgery to begin. I was able to go into the anesthesia room with him and be there while he was put under, which was certainly much more difficult for me than it was for him!

After a quick 20 minute surgery, he was back in recovery, struggling to sort himself out after the anesthetic. I pulled him into my lap and coaxed him to drink a couple juice boxes and eat a Popsicle, and after another 20 minutes of wailing, he calmed down. The only real effects I noticed for the rest of the day was a slightly smaller appetite at dinner time, and a general fatigue. I'm incredibly pleased with the medical team, the results, and the after effects. Today, two days later, it's not even noticeable that he had anything done!

4 comments:

SarahAnne said...

So wonderful! I'm glad he's doing so well.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

I definately agree the surgery is much harder for the momma than the kids:) Lilly is on her second set of tubes and Andrew got his done in like April or May. Do you see Dr. Rutter?

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

Oh! I just got that! "My sister got me 3 new bras... she's so UPLIFTING!" LOL You crack me up:)

Mimi Collett said...

I'm so glad it went so well. I hope he continues to heal well. :) Let us know if you need anything?