Tuesday, January 19

Florida

As always, I am at a complete loss for words to describe this weekend. I'm really bummed that my camera wasn't located-I got a few pictures on a disposable camera I bought, but I didn't get it out right away, and I'm sure they're not great. The pictures I have here I cannibalized from Facebook, I didn't take a single one of them myself. Also, they're terribly out of order. Deal with it.

This weekend was, first and foremost, amazing and fun. I was so grateful to meet up with people that I already knew and love, and deepen those relationships. There were too many inside jokes and fun shared to recount it all. As a bonus, I also met a handful of other truly amazing people. There's something about another young widow-it's not something that can be described unless you've gone through it yourself. Last year it tore my heart out to sit in a room full of them and know that we had each experienced the same hell. This year, it warmed my heart to see that we all had experienced it-and survived. We're each at different stages in the process, but we're there. We're talking, we're smiling, we're laughing loudly-we're healing. We're remembering and rebuilding-and that's all we can ask of ourselves. I'm so proud of my bago buddies. I miss them, miss them, miss them. I can't wait to see them again!

Now, on to the pictures: These first few, I have no words for, really. Thankfully-I missed most of this. There were two bartenders who apparently share the same birthday, and both were scheduled to work on Sunday afternoon. There was a huge party at the outdoor bar at the hotel-complete with a live band, dozens of people, freely flowing alcohol....and a midget stripper. That's right-a midget stripper. The girls hired him-the widows just went along for the show. I was in the middle of a phone call at this point, but I glimpsed the end of his show from the hotel window. I'm grateful I missed the live action show-but many widows were (kind?) enough to share their pictures.

Believe me, you're glad I'm sharing the tamer photos here.

There just aren't really any words, are there?
And....here is where I stop. But yes, it went much, much, much further. It was....icky.
Of course, he started out his show by pouring shots down the patrons throats. Luckily, I missed this part too. This is my roommate and widow-sister, Sheila. Perhaps not the best light to cast her in, no?
Of course, Janine is the one that posted this photo of herself on Facebook, so she can't get too mad at me, right?
It's hard to think too long about midget strippers when this a few feet away.


It's tradition that Sunday morning we have a rose ceremony to honor those that we have loved and lost. Last year, I cried mournful, bitter tears. I threw my rose into the ocean and sobbed as it bobbed slowly away. This year-I kept my rose. As I stood on the beach, I felt sorrow at missing Ammon, but also a deep sense of hope and conviction for the path ahead of me. It was a release of sorts. I cried for him-hard-but I walked away ready to move onto the next chapter of my life. In the wind, I felt that he is pleased with my healing.
Wind-surfing. Very cool, and apparently harder than it looks.
This weekend, and these gatherings, are mainly about companionship. See this laughter? All these smiling faces? This is why I travel to Florida every January. The beach is wonderful, and admittedly a huge bonus-but I would travel to Siberia to feel the warmth of these souls. How I love them, and how they touch me.
Dona, Janine, Stephanie, and Beni.
Victoria, Suzanne, Lisa, Sheila, and Janine ready for dinner Saturday night.
Some of the group, Saturday night after dinner.
CVS-a favorite outing. Everything you could need, right across the street!
Hanging with the widows makes me crazy. I have no explanation for this pose. Leaping for joy, maybe?
Peggy and Lois, fellow boating buddies.
Sunday morning rose ceremony
The two on the outside? They just couldn't stand to leave. Got halfway to the airport and changed their minds completely. One more day of beach time!
Like I said, hanging out with widders make me crazy.
So far, my favorite picture of the weekend-and some of my favorite people.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Very cool. And as I read this and am not a widow, I think the comfort comes from being with people that have experienced the same thing. You said it well in this blog. They know what you have been through and what your going to continue to go through. And to visit with them, and to laugh and cry and laugh more...awesome. Awesome that you found this group. Glad your weekend was everything and more.

Mimi Collett said...

I am glad you had a wonderful time. It sure looked beautiful!