Monday, January 4

Grinding

School starts again today, an event that I am simultaneously dreading and looking forward to. First of all, the kids are starting to go a bit stir-crazy being stuck in the house with me all the time, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't falling victim a bit as well. I have enjoyed leisurely morning-not having to jump out of bed and get anybody on the bus, not packing lunches at night, no homework or textbooks to read. However, I've also gotten pretty lazy. The house has seen better days, despite all the extra time I've had to work on it. My eating habits have spiraled back to a place I thought I'd never see again, and the numbers on the scale and the waistband of my jeans reflects it.

It seems to be an unavoidable fact that I thrive under pressure. The more I have to do, the more organized and efficient I become. Although a busy day exhausts me, I always feel accomplished by the end. Today marks the first day of daycare for the kids, as well. Kadon is thrilled about this change-we've visited the daycare several times to fill out paperwork and tour the facility, and he has been asking me for weeks when they will be able to go to the 'new school'. I'm sure they'll be fine, but it's another grief-bridge to cross. Daycare is something I was so sure my kids would never experience, and yet-here we are. I'm okay with it, I think. I don't have a choice, and the consistency will be good for the kids. I've been blessed with friends and family that have done more than their share to help with the kids the last 21 months, but it's time for us to have more regular and consistent care.

I have a second confession to make-part of me is looking forward to the challenge that this new quarter presents. Typically, I've lined up a pretty brutal schedule for myself. I'm enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology lecture and lab, Chemistry lecture and lab, Sociology II, and Medical Anthropology. As always, I'm extremely nervous about A&P, and less so for the rest of the classes. I achieved a 4.0 for autumn quarter, and have determined that is my goal for the remainder of the year as well-so I have some serious work ahead of me. It's okay, I'm equal to the task.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

For some reason that I don't have time to analyze right now, I really really like this post.

Good luck with school and all the changes that are accompanying it this time around.