Thursday, February 25

Big Brother

I've been trying to get Jeremy into a Big Brother relationship for a while now. I printed off the paperwork months ago, filled it all out, and mailed it in. I received a call from somebody at the office a few days later informing me rather tersely that I had sent the forms to the wrong office for my county. She said I had to call back and get the new address so I could print out new forms and mail them off again. Apparently she was completely unable to forward my already completed form on to the right office-but whatever.

Of course, then life got in the way for a while, and I kept forgetting to re-do the forms. Honestly, I was a bit turned off by the somewhat nasty message left on my answering machine from the organization, but a couple weeks ago I mustered up the gumption to re-do the paperwork, print it out again, and bring it upstairs. It sat in my kitchen-taunting me. Today I finally sat down-forms in hand-to call the office and insure I had the appropriate address to send the paperwork to.

Another woman answered the phone and I said brightly: "Hi! I'm interested in getting at least one of my son's enrolled in your program...."

Before I could finish, she interrupted me: "We're not accepting boys right now."

"You're not?" I asked, incredulous.

"No, our waiting list is too long." she curtly replied.

"Um.....okay? Is there no other organization that could help me?" I ventured, a bit put-out.

"There is a larger office in town, but they're only taking boys who have a father that is incarcerated."

Long pause.

"You're kidding me. A father who is dead doesn't count?" I asked, completely incredulous and extremely irritated.

"No, only incarcerated fathers. Is there anything else I can do for you?" She asked in a fake attempt at being helpful.

I was beyond irritated at this point. I tersely replied "No. That just seems incredibly backward. But whatever". And I hung up.

Here's the website: Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Cincinnati. You find this as backward and outlandish as I do? Give them a call. Write a letter. DO something.

I have friends that have been involved with BB/BS in the past-as mentors. I know the program is not meant to run this way. I'm disgusted that in my own city, this is the treatment that a TEXTBOOK CASE of a boy who needs mentoring is given.

If this bothers you, write a letter.

I know I will be.

Update:
After a suggestion on Facebook and some encouraging from a friend, I decided to contact a local news station. I spoke to a woman who promised to do some further research and get back to me. I'll keep you posted if it turns into anything-but she seemed as shocked and flabbergasted with the information as I had, so I'm hopeful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've looked all over the web site and can't find anything that says that they only see kids whose paretns are in jail. I'm wondering if they are short volunteers and so they decided that they could only help certain kids? I just can't believe that that is their normal policy! Crazy! ~ Angela

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

how rediculous! the whole doctor thing was stupid enough- but this is just retarded!
ya know what is funny- i have had a rather tough week myself- to put it lightly- i should explain it to you sometime- long story. but anyways, it does make you/me/people in general feel better to hear about other prople's problems. kinda sheds some light into my own problems and make me feel for other people, rather than just dwelling on it.
good luck- it just sounds really bizaar that there would be too many kids in the same situation- something is screwed up with the system.
o one more thing- the fake attempt to help is so funny! anytime i call somewhere and i need help with something and they obviously can't/aren't going to help they say "is there anything else i can help you with?"
of course not! that is why i called about this problem- not something else you stupid *#$@^
(don't you wish we could cuss sometimes?)

Joanna said...

That is great to hear. I also called the sisters and they were going to talk to Sam and see if she could help. We will get to the bottom of this. Love ya.

Susan said...

Hmmm.....I will try to send them an email today questioning all this. What I find the most serious of all is the tone that not one by two people from their organization talked to you. How ridiculous. The very least, they should be kind!!!! Sorry you had to experience that....

Lindsey said...

Sorry this comment is completely unrelated to the post:

Of course I remember you! Marching band right?
Wow! I haven't stayed in contact with many people from high school so I am always totally shocked where everyone has ended up.

Obviously your comment led me here. I haven't had much time to read or absorb as my little one is tearing apart our office, but when I get a chance I will.

Thanks for leaving a comment so we could reconnect!