Sunday, February 21

Potty Talk

The final days of diapering have arrived in the Fellows household. Brooklyn has been ready for this milestone much longer than I have-she had pottied for everybody-daycare, YMCA, family, and friends-before she finally pottied for me and I was forced to face the truth. Diapers, in many ways, are easier than being potty trained. If she needs to go during a trip to the grocery store, no biggie if she's in a diaper. Suddenly, the small porcelain appliance has become central to my existence. Where is the closest one located? When was the last time she went? Do I have spare clothes? Did I remember to ask her if she needs to go?

We started training about a week ago, and so far it's gone pretty well. People that have been friends with me for many years will shake their head in disgust to hear that. Cosmically and karmically, I'm due for a tough-to-potty-train child. The boys were easy-they both trained earlier than many of their peers, and with very little fuss. There was a minimum of accidents, and after the first couple of days staying home and near a toilet, the process was pretty much complete. I had prepared myself for Brooklyn to be much more complicated even though technically and generally speaking girls are supposed to be easier. Fortunately, it didn't turn out that way. Other than the fact that for the first 6 days of training she refused to make any contributions other than the liquid variety, her training has gone well. Tonight she finally made a solid deposit, so I suppose the next hurdle to clear is consistently staying dry while she sleeps. I'm of the 'panties during nap, diaper at night' mentality, so that makes things a bit easier.

I must admit, though, one plus to potty training her: the darn little girl panties. I'm used to boy underwear. I'm used to Spiderman, Batman, and Thomas the Train floating through my washing machine. Wide waistbands, the fold over pocket in the front-utilitarian underwear. Little girl panties are another story entirely. They are pink, they are frilly. They have lace, flowers, and pretty designs. They have tiny little waistbands, with sparkles sewn into the elastic. They are all my favorite colors. Combine little girl panties and fill them with a little girl behind-and I'm nearly overcome with the cuteness of it all. I suppose that even though the porcelain statue has become central in my existence for a time, the cuteness of the bum will make up for it.

2 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

teehee your last paragraph is hilarious. I have actually been torn about cute underwear for Jill (way in the future). Bring this up if you remember the next time we chat.

And yay horray for Brooklyn!!

(She has gone on the toilet when I've babysat for her.)

Jessica said...

i just started potty-training sophie this last week, too! it has mostly just been a pain. we're still at the point where i have to make her go and sit periodically rather than her being able to tell me she has to go. we have had lots of accidents. lots and lots. i'm glad brooklyn is a fast learner for you! :)