Thursday, January 31

Cabbage Patch Doll


It seems like I've been posting a lot of pictures of Brooklyn lately. It's not that the boys haven't been doing cute things lately, but it sure seems like I haven't been snapping my camera as usual. This photo was taken a while ago, but I never got around to posting it. I can't remember if I ever posted about Brooklyn's doll that she got for Christmas, so although I'm in danger of being redundant, I'll recount the story here. My Grandmother thoughtfully sent some money as a gift right after Brooklyn was born. I had strict instructions to spend it on her, and from previous experience, I knew that 'spend it on the baby' didn't mean 'buy diapers and wet wipes'. I held onto this money for weeks, trying to think of just the right thing to buy, when it finally hit me--a doll! I wanted desperately to be in charge of purchasing Brooklyn's very first doll. With just that in mind, I went to our local Wal-Mart a few weeks before Christmas. I perused the dolls in the doll aisle, checking out the dolls that 'talked', the dolls that were squishy and soft, and even dolls that had bodily functions we won't discuss here. In the end, though, I kept going back to the doll of all dolls: the Cabbage Patch Kid. See, I had a Cabbage Patch growing up, and I loved it. The more I thought about it, the more inconsequential the price tag became, and before long, I knew she had to have the perfect Cabbage Patch waiting for her on the Christmas tree. Fast forward several days, two e-bay auctions, and way too much time spent on the computer, and I finally located the perfect doll. On Christmas morning, I unwrapped it for her, held it up in front of her, and promptly realized that the doll I purchased for our two month old daughter was actually bigger than our daughter. Just in case you don't believe me, here's the photographic proof.
I'm confident that someday Brooklyn will appreciate the time it took to find a doll that resembles her in some way, and perhaps will even appreciate the cost. I'm even confident that she'll someday grow to be bigger than her doll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least know Brooklyn will have a sister :)