Wednesday, August 20

The Luckiest

Go to the bottom of my blog to the music player, and select "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds Five. Click on it, and listen to it while you read this post.

Ben Folds Five is a band that I discovered while still in high school, and one of the only bands that I introduced Ammon to when we started dating. I owned one album, and it to date is the only CD that I have ever actually worn out. In later years, they released another album, which I purchased when it was released, and when the original CD that I burned up was re-released with additional bonus tracks, Ammon bought it for me for Christmas. Over the years, we have many shared memories of listening to BFF. Lisa might remember when we drove through the night to reach either Phoenix or Houston, Ammon was driving the late shift. In an effort to stay awake and alert, Ammon and I put in our favorite BFF CD, and belted out the lyrics with gusto. I think Lisa thought we were a little bit nuts, but it remains one of my fondest road trip memories.

It seems appropriate, then, that since Ammon's death I have found yet another BFF song that speaks to me. His lyrics are known for being quirky and insightful, and this song speaks to my heart. I only wish I had found it before Ammon died, and we could have shared another sweet memory with this tender, touching song. I play it often to remind myself that I am, indeed, The Luckiest.

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if Id been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away
I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you babe. You made me the luckiest girl ever, and I am so grateful that we had so many years to make each other blissfully happy. Eternity can't come fast enough, my love.

2 comments:

David and Alisha said...

You are also the one that introduced me to BFF. That was a very touching song. I had never heard it before. Thank you for sharing it!

Anna Dutson said...

I found your blog through another girl from the old ward.

I'm amazed at your strength.

You're doing a wonderful job at being the best Mom to your boys! They will thank you always for that!

I love the slideshows, sorry about the lice.