Thursday, August 28

Unkind

I was patently unkind to somebody today. There is a woman on the LDS message board that I frequent, and she has occasionally gotten on my nerves. I find her to be somewhat whiny and pretty unappreciative of the blessings that she has been given. Of course, who am I to judge? This woman has an entire life to live, and I only see a very small portion of it on this message board. In my defense, I was bothered by this woman long before Ammon died, so I can't blame it entirely on my heightened grieving status. I'm not proud of it, but in my hurt and anger I used the comparative anonymity of the message board to lash out at somebody who can't lash back. I know without the entire back story, the situation won't make sense, but I feel compelled to explain myself here. This woman has complained about her husband many times in the course of the two years I have been a part of the board family. She often laments his lack of consideration for her, and his careless attitude when it comes to her feelings. I can sympathize with these emotions, I really can. I can't empathize, because I was blessing to be married to a man who didn't take my emotions and my wants lightly, but I can imagine what a heartache it would be to marry a man who did. The thing is--Ammon wasn't always like that. There was a time when he was cruel to me, and took our relationship for granted. There was a time when I honestly thought we couldn't possibly stand the test of time, and when I didn't want him anywhere near me. Thankfully, blessedly, those times passed. When things reached a head, we sought counseling and made our marriage--and our family--more placid and perfect than I ever imagined possible. Since then, but especially since Ammon left us so suddenly, I have very little tolerance for people who aren't willing to put the same amount of work into their own marriages. This woman, I feel, is one such person. She made the decision months ago that rather than be patient and suffer through a home renovation that she wasn't in favor of in the first place, she would punish her husband by abandoning him and visiting with family for two months. Now, a month into the separation, she is complaining about being lonely and missing home and husband. I lost it. I was beyond irritated that somebody could willingly, knowingly, and intentionally make the decision to separate themselves and three children from the father and husband in their lives, and then have the nerve to complain about it. So I snapped. I was unkind and cruel to her in my reply, and though I'm not proud of it, it was nice to get it off my chest. Never, ever, ever take your family for granted. Ammon and I got on our knees every single night and thanked the Lord for the blessing of our relationship. We thanked the Lord for daily for our marriage, our love for each other, and the gift of each other in our lives. We wrote to each other often about our gratitude for each other, and the sacrifices that were made every day in the name of our happy family. It's not that difficult. Our relationship wasn't loving and functional because of luck, it was because we WORKED to make it that way. We worked every day, every week, and every year to make it better. Our marriage, our love, is sacred. We knew that while he was still here, and we still know it now that we are parted. I have little to no tolerance for people who complain about their own fixable, manageable, and tolerable problems. Perhaps I never will.

7 comments:

Kim said...

I read it, and while not with the same vigor, agreed with you. I Just wasn't brave enough to say it.

Anonymous said...

I too read it and agree with you. I was just to chicken to post my true feelings.

Debbie

Kellie said...

Victoria, I think it's a case of not judging someone else until you've walked in their shoes (not that either of you were judging, I just cant' think of a better word for it). And I mean that for both sides. My first reaction was the same as yours. I couldn't understand why she was posting that. But even though she chose that "solution" it doesn't mean she can't miss her DH, and that's what her post was about. I wondered if that would upset you, and I'm sorry that it did. Like I said in her post, I'm really torn. All I know is that I don't live in her house and I don't know all that goes on there, who knows what the right choice was for her to make?

Any way, I can see your points as well, a good marriage doens't happen just because of luck, you have to WORK at it and sometimes it's HARD WORK. Even sometimes sticking it out while the other does something totally dumb. I'm sure it's difficult for you to see other couples who might take that for granted and not be willing to put in that work.

I love you. I don't want to upset you further with this message. Your marriage was and IS a wonderful blessing, one that I set as a standard for my own relationship. I really admired that from the very beginning when we met.

Breathe. Try not to let this upset you (I know, easier said than done). I'm proud of you for standing up and sharing how you felt. Many many hugs.....

Kim said...

I just wanted to say that I am in agreement with you. I probably would never have to guts to say it, but some of her comments have been insensitive to others on the board.

For what it's worth, I wanted to let you know that you and Ammon have made an impression on my life that I will never forget. From the first time I met you on the LDS board, I have been in awe of the relationship you have with your husband. You and Ammon achieved the type of marriage that I have rarely seen in such a young couple. Or in any couple for that matter.

You have set an example that I want to follow and I admire you both so much.

Laura said...

victoria, I figured out today that if you set your template in blogger to "minima" then it is completely transparent to your background. Try it out!

Sarah Jayne said...

Victoria, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.

Sandra said...

Victoria, I also initially reacted the same way as you did to the post and I also thought that she was really insensitive to be posting that on our board when you have recently been separated from your husband for a much longer time period and against your will. I worried how you would feel when you read her post because it was highly insensitive. I just wanted to say that I agree with what you said. If she misses him she always has the option of going home. I could never leave my husband home alone for 2 months and I would find a way to deal with what she left to avoid in similar circumstances....but, Joe and I have also had our trials and our tests, we've had really bad years and have come out on the other side, stronger and deeply in love and more willing to give up our selfishness for the happiness of each other.

Also, she does have the right to miss him, but if she misses him that much she should go home, it's been a month and her poor girls probably can't understand why they don't get to see their daddy.

I'm tired and probably not making a whole lot of sense but I wanted to let you know that I did agree with what you wrote, she did bring this upon herself and she can fix her missing her husband by going home, she is blessed to have that choice.

Sandra