Friday, December 22

Performance

Okay, Mary. It is ten o'clock at night here, and Ammon and I are both exhausted and headed to bed, but I'm posting this just for you, so you can read it first thing when you get up in Lithuania, instead of waiting until morning our time, which is all day for you! Just wanted you to know what kind of daughter in law I am!
Anyway, the performance tonight at the assisted living center went pretty well. We opened with one of our more difficult songs, and it was a little bit rocky early in the performance. The second song we had to completely restart, since the accompanist skipped a line in the music and got ahead of the voices. I missed notes that I hadn't ever missed before, and it was the first time we were trying to sing in front of a microphone, so getting close enough together to get all the voices in the mic was a challenge. That being said, I think the performance went quite well. The audience seemed to really enjoy it, laughed with us, and was moved at the appropriate places. Several of the residences came up to us after the performance and asked that we come back soon, so we're already talking about putting together an 'oldies' springtime show just for them. We did manage to capture the entire 40 minute performance on videotape, so we have it for our posterity.
In a way, I'm actually kind of sad that this program is over. I've really enjoyed singing the Christmas songs that we do, and I've gotten attached to several of the non-Christmas pieces as well. I guess discarding music and moving on to something else is part of being a member in this type of group, but I'm going to miss the feeling of getting ready for a show, and feeling the press and anxiety of it. I'm sure that we'll set up other shows, and we're already planning to come back here, but I'm really glad that our first performance as a group, and my very first real performance in general went well.

No comments: