Monday, January 29

Pineapple

The Macey's in our area closed down in order to move to a newly built location a couple of
weeks ago, and as I so wisely was shopping their last day in business, I was able to find a pineapple for the low, unbelievably low price of 49 cents a pound. I couldn't believe my luck, and immediately bought one. Once it traveled to my house, I placed it on the floor of the closet I use as a pantry, and promptly forgot about it. By the time I remembered it was there, a little over a week later, part of it had gotten overly soft and rotten, but most of the pineapple was still wonderful. I sliced it up, and proceeded to give my children their very first taste of the exotic fruit. After much wincing with the first bite, they both loved the flavor! They gobbled, munched, and chomped their way through the majority of the fruit. It wasn't until later, when Kadon developed a sore mouth from the acid of the pineapple, that we really had problems. I have experienced this problem in the past and wondered whether or not it was an allergic reaction, so I wonder if Kadon inherited my inability to digest pineapple. At any rate, he spent the rest of the evening in tears, and kept sticking his fingers in his mouth and saying 'owie'. I felt bad for the poor kid, but at least he enjoyed the offending fruit.

1 comment:

Our Crazy Family said...

I hope he doesn't have the wrath of an allergy to such a wonderful food! I do and I hate it. I very seldom eat pineapple and when I do I have to be careful because the reaction is different every time.One time my tounge and throat swelled and I got scared. Anyway I am sure it was just the amount of acid. (I hope) Okay that is my soapbox on my favorite fruit! Have a great day!