Wednesday, May 9

Diner Dash


Have you ever been to a classic small town diner? The kind of place where the waitress has worked there for 20 years and knows everybody in your family. She's always hungry for the latest gossip, and knows what you want to eat? Well, Richmond has just such a place. It's about a mile from my parents house, the home where I grew up, and I have eaten there my whole life. The waitress knows me, my kids, my parents, and half my extended family, and I love the feeling there. Notice I haven't said much about the food? Well, it's not necessarily anything to write home about. It's your pretty typical greasy spoon. The best thing about LD's is that they grill their hamburgers (which are made from real beef, they're not pressed patties) with onions on top. I don't know why that makes them taste so much better, but those onions that are pressed into the meat and lightly seared taste wonderful every time. Also, this place has fry sauce on the tables. The great Utah delicacy of ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together, which even in Utah is sometimes hard to find in a restaurant. LD's also has english chips. Delightful little bits of potato dipped in a batter of some sort and deep fried. They're wonderful, and also not easy to come by. Every 6 months or so I'll get a craving for LD's food that is powerful enough to make me drive the 45 minutes to my hometown to get some, and last week I had just one of these day. The kids love visiting LD's, the mood is just a little bit relaxed, and the waitress always gives them a hard time. I mean, where else can you find real red leather bar stools?

No comments: