Tuesday, May 15

Snuggle Time

I am obsessed with checking on my children in their sleep. I literally cannot get comfortable at night without going into their room at least once and kissing each of them, adjusting their blankets, making sure their sippy cups of water are within reach. I love breathing in the smell of their sleeping bodies, the way they are so comfortable, warm, trusting in their beds. They are so innocent and unscathed, and it's never more apparent than when they are sleeping soundly. No matter how much they have irritated me during the day, that last glimpse of them before I head to bed always heals my frustrations.
Last night I trekked into their bedroom for just such a check. I glanced at Kadon's toddler bed on my way to Jeremy's side of the room, and was startled to find that it was void of his sleeping form. I quickly glanced at the floor next to his bed, thinking maybe he had gotten up to go out, and neglected to get back in bed and fallen asleep. He was nowhere to be found, so I finally looked at Jeremy's bed. In the darkness of their room, I found my children curled around each other, sharing a pillow, a blanket, and a stuffed animal. I can only guess that after the last time I left their room sometime around 7:15 that Kadon crawled into his brothers bed, where they both dozed off. I didn't have the heart to move him right away. I toyed with the idea of trying to get a photo of their cuteness, but I was afraid that the flash from my camera would awaken them, and I couldn't stand the thought of having to go through the nighttime routine. In the end, I settled for pulling Ammon into their bedroom so he could witness their brotherhood, then I gently lifted Kadon into my arms and settled him onto his own bed. It is some sort of amazing bond that allows these children to fight and scream all day long at each other, then curl up in bed together at the end of the night. Sometimes they blow my mind.

No comments: