Sunday, June 17

My Grandfather

I've been pondering a lot lately, my most cherished memories of my grandfather. I have thought of many things, but want to expound upon a few. I can remember as a young child, the excitement of going to Grandpa's house. We would all pile into the car on a Sunday afternoon and make the trek to Lewiston, where Grandma and Grandpa would be sitting in the living room waiting for us. I remember especially the genuine delight on my grandfather's face when we walked into the door. There were always kisses and hugs to be had, even if that kiss involved a very whiskery burn. I also remember grandpa's woodshop. Rare was the occasion that us grandkids would be allowed in there, but it was always something to look forward to. The smell of wood, the beautiful furniture, shelves, and knick-knacks that he would create-all of these things hold a special place in my heart. I still have several things that my grandfather made for me. A bookcase, a set of shelves I hang on the wall. These things remind me of how much Grandpa loves me, shown through the hours he spends molding the wood to make something beautiful.
Another forbidden, occasionally glimpsed area of Grandpa's house was his gun room. As a young child, we were NEVER allowed up there, even though we all knew it was there and knew the rules surrounding the room. There was always a padlock on the door, which was tightly sealed fully 100% of the time-a testament of a grandfathers love for the children in his life, by his desire to keep them safe. As I got older, I can remember occasionally being allowed to enter the gun room, always with grandpa close by my side. There he would show me his most recently acquired firearm, and describe to me how it worked, what kind of bullets it took, and how it felt to shoot it. Although I mostly found his guns distasteful and the idea of shooting them frightening, I appreciated then, as I do now, the time that he took to show them to me. I know he took several of the male grandchildren and uncles shooting, and that such an invitation would have been open to me any time I would choose to ask.
One of my most prominent and cherished memories of my grandfather is an Easter egg hunt when I was very young. I could only have been 7 or 8 years old, but I remember driving somewhere in Idaho with my grandfather to attend the festivities. I have no recollection of who else was there that day, although I am pretty sure that my brother and one of my parents went with me. To this day, that Easter egg hunt stands out in my memory as the holy grail of Easter egg hunts. No hunt since has held the same wonder, or the same fabulous prizes.
Later in life, I remember Grandpa's pride when my older brother joined the Navy, following in his footsteps. I remember hearing stories about the 'Sea-Bee's' and their 'can-do' attitude. I remember in the days following my oldest son's birth, when Grandma and Grandpa came to visit us in the hospital. I have a photo of my grandfather holding his newest grandson in his arms, no more than two days old. His arms and body dwarfed the tiny infant he held, but I can remember looking at them that day and feeling as though some sort of circle had been completed. The man whose firstborn was MY father, was now holding MY firstborn, MY son. I still look at that picture often, and remember the family circle that was made that day.
Today, I take special joy in watching my children interact with 'New Pa'. I see the same whiskery burns, the same jokes, the same affection that I experienced as a child, and I know these things are things that my children will carry with them throughout their lives, just as I have. I love that he teases them in the same way that he teased me. But, as always, the great love he has is lingering, and apparent in the special relationship he has with the children that come into his home. I love that Jeremy told me recently, on the way to New Pa's house that "Grandpa teases me because he loves me, and I tease him because I love him too." Just as I tried to as a child, my children try to get New Pa's goat by teasing right back. Rarely did I manage to ruffle him as a child, and rarely do my children succeed today, but it gives me a warm feeling in my heart to watch them try. I hope that if I can imprint something of my grandfather on my children, it is the unfailing love that he has shown, and will continue to show, and that it can impact their lives as much as it has mine over the years.

No comments: