Wednesday, June 6

Wear Sunscreen

Some of you may remember a song that came out toward the end of of the 1990's, it was by a gentleman named Baz Luhrmann (did I spell that right?), but the original lyrics came from a newspaper column written by Mary Schmich. At the time, it was a very touching song, which discussed life plans, ambitions, and dreams in a way that a high school senior can understand. At any rate, the first part of the song goes like this:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of '00: Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

I am wishing, right this moment as I sit gingerly on my high back computer chair, that I had taken this advice to heart. Yesterday Laura and I took our children to the Logan Aquatic Center, and as the day was fairly overcast and windy, I decided it would be a good opportunity to work on my tan. I bravely dispensed with the sunscreen, choosing instead to take my chances with the sun. Last evening, as I inspected the scarlet skin on my back, this song came to mind. Even later in the evening, as I tossed and turned in my bed, unable to find a position that was comfortable, I regretted my lack of foresight. This morning, as I listen to this song yet again (you can find it here) I am vowing that next time, I will remember the sunscreen.

No comments: