Sunday, March 16

Brotherly Love

The other day my boys were sitting on the couch watching TV, and asked me to take a picture of them. I feel blessed to have captured such a beautiful memory, one that I'm sure would have quickly been forgotten without photographic proof. Lately I've felt very caught up in the day-to-day workings of having three small children. Brooklyn hasn't slept well for several weeks. She has gone back to waking up three or four times during the night, and only takes short cat-naps during the daylight hours most days. I've been feeling worn around the edges for a while now, and am struggling to figure out how to manage my household when I feel as though I rarely get a break. Unfortunately, it's usually the boys that end up getting shorted when my attention and time is limited, which is terribly unfortunate and unfair. I wish that there were at least two of me, one to take care of Brooklyn and the more mundane household tasks, and another 'me' that could take more time to play games with the kids and pursue other more enjoyable pastimes. Until I learn to clone myself, I will struggle to fit everything into the hours that I have been given. I need practice remembering how truly blessed I am. We have so much to be grateful for, more than seems fair, really. We have health, resources, and a love that goes far beyond anything that can be described with mere words. Our children are beautiful, healthy, and caring toward one another. My relationship with my spouse is something beautiful and pure, something to be cherished every day for the rest of eternity. Really, what are a few missed naps and sleepless nights when compared to the blessings that I enjoy? Why should I fret about having to spend hours every day holding and comforting a fussy baby? I know people who would give almost anything to have a baby to hold and soothe, and to hold close during the long hours of the night. I know parents whose children are grown, and ache to go back to the days when children's toys litter the living room floor, and chicken nuggets are normal fare. I am grateful for the days of peanut butter kisses, smeared fingerprints on the windows, and early morning wake-ups. I'm thankful for sweet smelling hair after a bath, and chubby thighs to be kissed during a diaper change. I'm grateful for tickles, cuddles, and hugs that make even the darkest day seem brighter. Today, I'm grateful to be the Mom of three children who possess unlimited potential, unmatched potential for love and greatness, and affection with each other that warms my heart. I'm grateful for life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww that's a sweet picture.

Emily Nielson said...

Goodness, I wish you hadn't moved so far away :( I want to help but don't know what to do. Does it help for me to call, or is it another thing you have to do? Let me know, 'cause I want to do what I can.

(((HUGS)))
em