Saturday, March 8

Winter Marches On

On Monday of this week, it was a balmy 70 degrees. The kids are I spent the morning playing outside playing at the playground within our complex, and generally having a wonderful time enjoying the weather. I opened up all the windows in our townhouse and aired out the stale winter air, and turned the heat off for a full 24 hours. When Ammon got home from work, he stayed outside and played football with the boys while I got dinner ready. After dinner, we even broke our own 'no going outside after dinner', and allowed the kids to go out and play for an extra 40 minutes. We met several of our neighbors that were also out enjoying the weather. All in all, it was perfectly delightful. However, if I had known that the cost of that beautiful day would be this:


5 days later, I might have enjoyed it a bit more. We've been under a winter storm watch for the last 24 hours, but I think most people assumed that the weather man would be wrong once again. Several times this winter snow has been predicted, when in actuality we just got a couple inches of rain. It's been an incredibly mild winter, especially for a girl accustomed to northern Utah winters. Ammon's employer shut down their facility at noon yesterday, and sent everybody home. I held lunch, thinking he would be home soon and we could eat together. After 45 minutes, I went ahead and fed the kids, and we proceeded to clean up lunch, thinking it would be nice for Ammon to come home to a sparkling clean home. After two hours, I finally gave up and was putting Kadon down for a nap when Ammon walked in. The interstates were a crush of people trying to get home before the worst of the storm hit. Last evening we decided to brave the weather and head to the grocery store for some basic necessities, and I'm grateful that we did because the snow is still barreling down on us at 8 am, and the chances of us leaving the house today are hovering somewhere between slim and none.


I guess it's a good thing that my Mom brought me more hot chocolate from Utah. We're going to need alot of Stephen's to make it through this weekend.

No comments: