Saturday, March 22

The Gift of Music

An unexpected gift showed up at my apartment on Thursday afternoon. I was busy cleaning up the kitchen and preparing chili for dinner when an unexpected knock sounded on the front door. I answered the door, expecting it to be one of Jeremy's friends asking if he could come out to play. To my surprise, Mary was standing on my doorstep. I gave her a quizzical look and inquired as to what she was doing at our house, but she only smiled and asked me to move my van (which was parked directly in front of our townhouse) so that they could unload something. Confused, I glanced across the parking lot to where their truck was parked, and saw a piano tied securely in the bed of the truck. As reality sunk in, tears sprang instantly to my eyes. I have literally hungered for a piano since I left my parents house behind 8 years ago. We stored Mary and Russ's Clavinova for about a year while we lived in Utah, but other than that I have had only sporadic access to my favorite instrument. The worst has been since we moved to Cincinnati because I had become accustomed to being able to use the piano as my self therapy in Hyrum. Also for the four months that we lived in Dayton. Amongst all the stresses of life in the last four months, I have sorely missed having a way to release tension. I immediately and joyfully cleared a space large enough for the piano just inside the front door, and the instrument was barely in place before I had pulled a few of my favorite pieces of music out and sat down to play. I am so grateful that my thoughtful in-laws recognized a need, and when the opportunity came to take advantage of an unwanted instrument, they jumped on it in my name. The piano originally came from their small branch in Dayton when a newer instrument was purchased for the building, but I credit Mary and Russ with being thoughtful enough to claim it for me. In the long term I am considering teaching piano lessons, but until all the difficulties surrounding such an undertaking are resolved, I will simply enjoy being able to fill my home with music again. Because I know I will never be able to adequately express my appreciation to you, Mary and Russ, I offer these pitiful words: thank you. Thank you from the very, very bottom of a grateful heart. I love you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!! What a blessing.

Anonymous said...

That is sooo cool. I get to pick up my momther-in-laws this summer.

Russ and Mary said...

We love you, too. Thanks for being such a loving, positive daughter-in-law. We could not have wished for more than you are!