Saturday, May 31

Dreariness

Another Saturday. Another weekend with no plans, and nobody to share time with. The pervasive loneliness that I have heard about from so many other young widows is setting in, and the solitude of my life is getting oppressive. I get up every morning and most days, search for things to do to fill the empty hours. Some days, I lack the energy or desire to leave the house or accomplish much, and it is on those days that the loneliness reaches new heights. I know that I should force myself out of the house and into the company of other people, but I find the energy that it takes to 'act' normal is draining. Even when I'm around people who understand the tragedy of my life, I still hesitate to let the true depths of my despair show. In honestly, I am lower than I have ever been in my life. I feel a complete lack of emotion most days, and am unable to express much beyond a vague, restless anger. In my mind, I compare myself to a wild animal that has been mortally injured. I am restless, I snap at the slightest provocation, and I don't hesitate to hurt those around me, even when they are simply trying to help. In the beginning, I was told by somebody that I would reach a point that I would be angry with Ammon, and at the time, I scoffed. I thought, how could I be angry with the man that I loved so deeply? How could I blame him for a freak accident, even though it was one that took his life and his company from those who need him most? In recent days, rage has begun to emerge. Rage that is split nearly equally between my late husband, and my father in heaven. I know that it's not socially acceptable to be angry with God, but I am. I am enraged that he took my husband from me. I am enraged that he ignored my pleas for Ammon's survival. On that black Friday evening, I lifted my face to heaven and pled for my husband's life. I begged God not to let him die, and he ignored my pleas. I almost equally blame my husband. Why wouldn't he wear a helmet? I know that Jeremy and one of his friends were standing next to Ammon in the moments before he got onto his motorcycle, and they were playing with Ammon's helmet. The kids loved to put the helmet on their heads, and try to walk around with the large weight on their shoulders. How easy it would have been for Ammon to pluck the helmet from Jeremy's head and put it onto his own, but he didn't. He chose to ignore my admonitions of days past about helmet safety, and the result is responsible for my present reality. Because of the decision that Ammon made that evening, his children are going to grow up without a father, and there is a tiny part of me that hates Ammon for that. There is a part of me that feels red-hot, boiling rage that he so willingly sacrificed his life in such a careless manner.

I know that these emotions are unfair. In my more lucid, forgiving, Christ-like moments, I pray for acceptance. I pray for understanding, I pray for the strength to make it through this trial with grace and poise. I pray that I can raise my children up to both their Fathers, the one who sent his son to die for us, and the earthly father who is waiting for them in the eternities. Sometimes, though, I feel the rage. I feel the hopeless, omnipresent, oppressive loneliness, and the burden of raising these three children by myself presses down on me with relentless weight. Please, don't judge me for this post. I have struggled with whether or not to write about these emotions, knowing that there are many people in my day to day life that read this. Sometimes I feel as though I am the only one mourning Ammon. I know that his siblings, his parents, and his friends are simply trying to shield me from their pain, to avoid adding to my burden. I am appreciative of that thoughtfulness, but sometimes I feel as though I am the only one falling apart. I feel that I am the only person absolutely shattered by this loss, and it only adds to the sense of loneliness. Loneliness, burden, weight. These words have been repeated several times in this entry today, and they are the words the reverberate through my life.

I am so lonely for Ammon. I ache for the touch of his hands, the warmth in his eyes, and the comfort of his embrace. I hate him for leaving me here alone.

6 comments:

Meagon said...

Victoria,
When my DH was diagnosed with Cancer and the outcome looked so grim, and the treatment was so hard, and when he was so close to death, I too was angry with Heavenly Father. I know that we are His children and that he understands.....even our anger. I did not let the anger fester into bitterness, and I sought His help. I know that when this burden gets too much and you have gone as far as you can, Ask and He will carry it and you until you are strong enough to begin again. I also know what it feels like to be so angry with the one you love and miss the most. Don't feel guilty about the anger, it is part of the healing and as long as you keep trying to pray, and keep going, You will get through the anger and move past it. I love you and think of you often. Our prayers are still for you. I find little things all the time that remind me of Ammon and am so sad that he is gone.
Love Meagon

Emily Nielson said...

Victoria,
I think about you all day everyday, and you and your little family are in our prayers. I understand, in a small way, the anger. Especially at God. I promise it will pass eventually, but it will take time. (((HUGS))) and let me know if I can send you some sort of comfort food or item or just listen to you.
em

Unknown said...

It is normal to be angry with God when something like this happens. He understands.

*hugs* Praying for you guys.

Our Crazy Family said...

*hugs*

I can understand how you would think that we are not mourning with you but Victoria there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you. I still wish I could be there living in the same complex like we used to so I could be there when you needed someone to talk to or bring you chocolate and just listen. I really hope you know we all love you and are always thinking about you.

Cindy

Russ and Mary said...

I love you. I love Jeremy, Kadon, and Brooklyn. I also love Ammon and have since I first knew he was forming cell upon cell inside my body. I grieve but I can't stay in the pain. When I have a headache, I take something so I'm not disabled by the pain. There is no medication for the pain of thinking of Ammon and not knowing how long it will be before I can see him again. It will be the same when one of my parents dies or if someone else I love dies. Getting stuck in the pain and focusing too much on "remembering" is destructive. I have to acknowledge the living because this is where I am right now. It wouldn't be fair to other people I love and who love me if I refused to be comforted and could not give them love.

Kellie said...

Oh, hon. What a heartbreaking post, but it's understandable that you have all these feelings. You'll get no judgment from me. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. I only know that it's normal to go through all these feelings, and there is no cure or medication for it (I really like that analogy from russ and mary). It is just something that you have to go through and deal with. DUring that time, lean on your friends and family. Know that SO MANY people are praying for you and love you and your kids. Never forget that. I hope all this makes sense. I am trying to say what's in my heart, and those feelings are next to impossible to manifest in mere words. Always in my prayers.... ***hugs****