Saturday, January 3

Baptism

There is a belief in the LDS church that when children reach 8 years of age they are baptized members of the LDS church. Traditionally, children are baptized by their father, surrounded by as many friends and family as possible. My children have attended many baptisms over the years, and are well-versed in the procedure.

Yesterday, we were in the van running some errands when out of nowhere, Jeremy tells me this:

"Mom, I can't be baptized."

"No honey, not until you turn eight. You have to have two more birthdays until you can be baptized."

"I know, but even when I turn eight I can't be baptized."

A little surprised, I answered "Why not?"

"Because you're supposed to be baptized by your Dad. And my Dad died, so I can't be baptized."

Oh, how I ache for the new ways that my children will have to deal with the loss of Ammon over the rest of our lives. I assured Jeremy that when the times comes, we will find a worthy member of the church to perform the ordinance--but I know that he recognizes it is a rite of passage that should be performed by a loving father. I know that he recognizes this as a loss, and I hurt for him. So many things that Ammon and the kids will miss doing together. It's just not fair.

No comments: