Wednesday, January 21

Sun and Fun

I have much studying to do for the two tests I have this weekend, and Jeremy's birthday party to plan. I want to get some pictures up, but you'll have to excuse what will likely be the scant narration.

This is the view from our hotel balcony. I ducked under the barriers between rooms to get to the end of the building, and have a more uninterrupted view of the ocean for these pictures. It was chilly, but we couldn't wait to get outside!
It struck me right in that moment how amazing it was that I was standing on the balcony, overlooking the beach in the middle of January. A genuine thrill was present in my smile, and I've missed that.


The next morning, I skipped ducking underneath all the rails to get to the end of the building. This was directly outside the balcony door, at sunrise the first morning we were there.
Saturday morning my roomates, plus one, decided to go take an air boat ride on the Everglades. One of my roomies is a Florida native, and she recommended it highly. The Everglades were not at all what I pictured! I'm told the more cypress-tree-look that I was expecting is located on the western coast of Florida
Our crew, sitting on the front row of the airboat. From left: Laura, Me, Rachel, and Sheila.

One of the locals that visited us during our tour of the Everglades.

Rachel and Janine, our Kansas City crew.

I can't stress enough--these photos are NOT zoomed! He was actually just that close to the boat!
I forget the name of this bird. It was perched on the tree, looking for prey. While we were watching it broke into flight, and it was beautiful.

Rachel and Janine made friends with the local scenery.
This is Ray, who was telling a rather involved story of an over-zealous airport security screener. He lives in Northern Kentucky, and was at least partially responsible for organizing this huge event.
I offer no excuse for this photo. Therese and I were trying to squash each others heads. See what getting me away from my kids and totally relaxed does to me?
Jimmy, Danette, and Me at dinner Saturday night. Good food, even better company.
On the beach Saturday night, with (from left) Therese, Danette, Sheila, Me, and Jimmy.
Bosley sure looks happy!
Sunday morning was the formal remembrance ceremony. Ray gave a short speech about the waves of grief, and we each picked up a flower. One by one, we spread out and walked to the edge of the ocean. Tears were shed, prayers were uttered, and names were written in the sand. We each threw our single rose into the ocean, and hoped that the waves of grief wouldn't knock us down.
Each rose represents a loved one lost. It's sobering to stand on the perimeter of a room and see 45 smiling faces--each of the smiles hiding a grief that I understand only too well. It was sobering that morning on the beach to remember why each of us was there--and the bond that binds us all together. I found that it is all too easy to share the burden of my grief with these wonderful people--that I expected. What I didn't expect was the ease with which I could share the lightness of laughter. It was a pleasant surprise.
Sunday morning brunch at Shooters, a famous oceanfront restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale.
Sheila has a hot bod.
I have a hot bod.
So does Janine.
And Rachel also has a hot bod.
This boat was rockin'. We didn't go knockin'.

Sunday afternoon brought more lounging around the pool deck and tan lines. Thank goodness for tan lines.
Sunday night we had dinner at Aruba's, another restaurant right on the beach about a mile away from the hotel. Janine and Rachel picked up dresses in the gift shop, and Jimmy thought they looked HOT! (inside joke)
Sunday night the playoff games were somewhere near us, and the Goodyear blimp flew over and over again. I finally got exasperated enough to take a picture. It's loud when it flies overhead! Disturbs reading and sunbathing!
Monday morning, we all bid a sad farewell to the beach and sunshine. I squeezed in a final few hours in my bathing suit, and managed to perfect the tan lines I started on Sunday. From left: Me, Janine, Laura, and Rachel.
I am so grateful to have gone on this trip. I made lifelong friends, and beautiful memories. I can't wait for next year!

6 comments:

Meagon said...

Victoria, I think you look beautiful. It is nice to see a smile on your face. I am totally jelous of the beach trip.

SarahAnne said...

What a great trip for you! I am sooo glad you have these people to hang on to, that you dont need to explain a single word to. And I agree with Meagon - you look beautiful, and your smile is infectious!!

Susan said...

From a cyper reader, your trip looks like the right does of medicine :) And how neat to be with friends that "know", really know the shoes you are walking. Good for you for taking the giant step and going.....

Unknown said...

Looks fun!! :)

David and Alisha said...

I have a hard time even looking at the pictures of the alligator....I can't believe you were that close to it!!! This fear dates clear back to my early childhood and being absolutely TERRIFIED of the alligator at the zoo. Anyway, thanks for sharing your trip. It looks like you had a really good time. LYLAS!!

Kendell said...

I'm glad you had a good time! I loved the idea of waves of grief with the roses!