Wednesday, March 11

Last Month

Today is the last of the monthly anniversaries. I'm sure that the 11th of every month will continue to pierce my heart with agony and loss, but from here on out the passage of time will be marked with years instead of months.

How bizarre that he has been gone this long.

This morning as I was driving to the gym, I looked at the clock and it was 3 minutes past 9 am. With startling clarity, I remembered where I was at 9:03 on that fateful morning. I was at the same YMCA, meeting with my fitness instructor and learning how to use the weight machines in the cardio room. I completed the whole circuit, and it was a workout that left my muscles sore. In fact, in the days after his death I was incredibly sore in my neck and arms, specifically my throat. It hurt to speak or raise my voice at all, and I wondered absently if my sore neck and throat muscles were a result of my exercise on the day Ammon died, or my prolonged and grief-filled scream upon hearing the noise. Likely, a combination of the two.

When I reached the YMCA this morning, the familiar sights and sounds were not comforting. I sat down on the floor in the gym, laced up my sneakers, and waited for the class to start. The instructor, and my new personal trainer, noticed that I wasn't my normal self, and knowingly asked if I was having a bad day.

I shrugged my shoulders, fighting tears. "No, it's just the 11th", I replied

"Well, get out there, then", she said, pointing over her shoulder to the gym floor.

I walked toward my friend Joanna, still fighting back tears. As I approached, she also asked what was wrong.

"I just need a hug", I replied weakly, falling into her embrace. "It's the 11th again".

She gently rubbed my back, and was sympathetic to my pain. I began to cry in earnest, and had to excuse myself to the ladies room. Once there, I quickly locked myself into a stall and fought off the hysterics that were threatening to overtake me. I briefly considered leaving the YMCA. I thought about the consequences of skipping my regular Zumba class, and how it would make me feel. In the end, I took my swollen, red eyes into the gym and stood in my usual place in the front row.

At the end of an hour, I felt much better. The endorphins finally kicked in, and while I'm still reeling that today is yet another 11th on this horrible journey, I'm not as dangerously unstable as I was this morning.

I'm grateful for good friends, for hugs, but most of all today, I'm grateful for mindless exertion and profuse sweat. I needed that today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victoria,

You have been on my mind a lot these past few days. I don't have any great words, but want to offer my (((HUGS))) and prayers.

Debbie

Emily Nielson said...

(((HUGS))) I wish I could be there so you wouldn't have to be alone :( I'm thinking of you and praying for you.
em

Amy said...

Victoria~

I know i don't comment much, but I want you to know that I faithfully read each and every one of your posts. I just want you to know that you are loved and I think and pray for you and your children all the time. I'm so glad that you have good friends IRL to give you a hug when us cyber (or far away) friends can not! (((((HUGS)))))

Susan said...

Friends are awesome. Hugs are awesome. Good for you for sticking it out and exercising. Your doing the best you can with what you have been dealt.

Unknown said...

*hugs*