Friday, December 19

Preschool Christmas Concert

On Tuesday Mary and Russ came down to Cincinnati and we all attended Kadon's Christmas concert. Jeremy was supposed to be in school, but school was canceled because of wintry weather. Kadon was really excited about showing off all the songs he has been working on for weeks now, and the adults were anxiously anticipating the joy and cuteness of all the children.
This is Kadon immediately after we arrived at the mall for the concert. Several weeks ago I sent in money for the children to make sweatshirts with their hand prints on them for the concert. I asked him several times to stand still so I could get a picture of him in his sweatshirt, but you can see how well that went. Wired, much?
After a few seconds of reckless running, I insisted that Kadon hold still for pictures. I thought maybe it would help if I got on my knees and offered to take a picture with him. It didn't help.
I know that Kadon has learned all the words to several of these songs, but he sang almost none of them. I think the crowd, the lights from all the stores, and the general excitement in the air threw all the kids off. Luckily all the teachers knew the words.
Speaking of teachers, I had to get a picture of these guys. They sat on the floor in front of the kids, hoping to cue them. They sang all the songs with gusto, and performed all the actions. It was just as entertaining to watch them as it was to watch the kids!
Kadons teacher has been a God-send for us. When I registered him in August I spoke to Mrs. Haller and let her know about Ammon and everything else that has changed in Kadons life this year. She has been more compassionate than I deserve to expect, and I can tell how much she honestly cares for him. The week that they covered families in class she thought Kadon might have a difficult time, so she purchased him a special book and wrote a truly lovely inscription inside the front cover. One morning when I dropped them off, she pulled me aside and said that she had a strange experience to share. She said they had been out on the playground, and all of the sudden she got the strongest sensation that Kadons dad was there, watching him. Mrs. Haller has never even seen a picture of Ammon, and I haven't talked about him much. Somehow, though, she knew he was there. She said she just felt like he was watching Kadon and enjoying watching him play. She said she could feel Ammons pride for Kadon as an almost palpable scent in the air. Of course, Mrs. Haller had no way of knowing that if Ammon were here, that is exactly how he would feel watching Kadon play at preschool. He was exactly the sort of father that would take great pride in watching his youngest son play on the playground. My gratitude for a teacher who recognizes that, and is sensitive to our needs is unending. We will miss her desperately when this school year ends, but in the meantime she is an important part of our lives.

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a doll. I just want to kiss his cheeks!

Amy said...

Love those pictures. Especially the one of you and him!

Isn't it great to have wonderful teachers. What a special woman Mrs Haller is.