Tuesday, December 2

Pickles and Puking

Brooklyn has been sick for the last two days. It started the day before yesterday with some diarrhea toward the end of the day, and by the time she woke up on Monday it was pretty full-blown (pun intended). By the time I left for class on Monday afternoon, she had been asleep for nearly three hours--and she had taken another two cat-naps on the couch by the time I got home just before 4 o'clock. She was sporting a low-grade fever yesterday afternoon, and took two more short naps on the couch before I put her to bed for the night at 7:15. She finally awoke for the day at 8:35 this morning, and then took two more short naps on the couch this morning. I'm about to put her in her crib for a longer snooze. In all this time, she's consumed very little. Yesterday she had almost nothing to eat outside of a little juice, a half a container of yogurt, and a few small bites of some plain pasta. Today her appetite seems a little bit better, but she's sleeping tons and generally really cranky. Hopefully she's on the upswing today, and her body can get the rest it obviously so desperately needs.
The next set of pictures is something you have to see to believe. And before you vultures ask, I did NOT put him up to this. Not every time my kids eat something disgusting is it my idea.
I'm not sure how it even started, but Jeremy decided yesterday that he wanted to drink pickle juice. Pickles used to be a passion of mine, but lately I haven't felt like eating them very often. I'm pretty sure Grandma is the one who let him do it the first time, and since she didn't see fit to stop him, I figured I shouldn't either.

Jeremy gets his adventurous eating habits from his father. Fellows Family Folklore tells the story of Ammons 'spaghetti sandwich' explorations, and I witnessed for myself his various creations, Fruity Pebbles and Pepsi among the most memorable. While not exactly a true combination, Peanut M&M's and Mountain Dew will also always come to mind when I think about Ammons food creativity.
In fact, I often got nervous when Ammon would request to make dinner. I can remember several times requesting that he 'just make it normal'. He'd do weird things to normal food. It didn't always turn out well.
I'm glad that Jeremy inherited this from him. Lately, I've been letting him explore more. I didn't get a photo of his graham cracker-tortilla combination. It didn't capture my attention nearly as much as this one, but it's still weird. He also dips everything in mustard. And I mean EVERYTHING. Carrot sticks, teddy grahams, apple sauce, vegetables, soup--EVERYTHING. He is SO much like his Dad.

2 comments:

Camara said...

I love pickle juice. When I eat pickles I make myself a little pickle cocktail! I pour about 1/3 of the glass full of the juice and then have my pickle sitting in it! You can't drink too much or it's gross, but a little sip here and there is good!

Unknown said...

Aww poor baby..I hope she is feeling better!

My mom actually likes pickle juice..ewwww