Tuesday, April 8

Scary Ants

So, we have this ant issue in our townhouse. I find them mainly in the kitchen, and they're the itty-bitty little ants that swarm onto even the smallest morsel of dropped food, making a disgusting writhing pile of insect on the kitchen floor. I've contacted the main office and informed them of the problem, and after two weeks they finally sent over a *ahem* older gentlemen to place little sticky ant traps along the underside of my kitchen cabinets. The traps promptly fell off, and I noticed no discernible difference in the amount of frequency of our 'ant attacks'. Finally, in desperation (and after yet another phone call to the main office) I purchased some new traps at the grocery store. Ammon placed them yet again along the underside of the kitchen cabinets, and had a discussion with the children about touching the traps. He informed them that inside the traps is poison, and the whole idea is to lure the ants inside the traps with the promise of food, only to cause them a hideous, twisting death once they consume the substance inside. The kids, being the young strapping lads that they are, were fascinated with this. They instantly became 'ant experts', and have since been on 'ant patrol', making sure that any stray ants go into the traps to become poisoned. They've become so good at their jobs, in fact, that the other morning they developed a new technique. I noticed that the boys kept taking various pairs of shoes into the kitchen, mostly shoes belonging to Ammon and I. Upon further inspection, I was informed by Kadon that they were 'scaring' the ants into the traps. I tried to catch the process in photographs, so we'll see if I managed to do it justice.


Here is Kadon, clad in an outfit of his creation, and wearing my over sized sneakers on his bare feet. At this point, he's scoping out the scene, checking to see if there are any ants in need of scaring.
This is where the actual scaring comes into play. See how his mouth is open wide in a primal yell of terrifying proportions? I'm sure the ants were positively scurrying.
This is the process of stomping on any ants that didn't scurry fast enough at the sound of his primal yell. The clomping sound accompanied by his tiny feet in my huge shoes was pretty hysterical, even if he isn't really exerting enough force to crunch anything.
This is the final inspection, checking to see if all those pesky ants are gone. I think at this point there was a little bit more yelling, just to make sure.



I'm hoping that very soon all these unwanted creatures will vacate our home. I know that we're not dirty people, and we keep our house as clean as is reasonably possible, but seeing bugs on the floor still has a way of making me want to scrub everything down.


Oh, and as a side note? In typing this story, I kept accidentally typing 'aunts' instead of 'ants'. I swear it doesn't mean anything, I love my ants dearly. Er.......my aunts.

3 comments:

Our Crazy Family said...

That is totally hilarious. I almost snorted! We had ants once and the traps worked really well, they were gone in a day or two. I hope you get rid of those pesky little insects. IT looks as though you have a pretty good system if the traps don't work the boys will get em!

Unknown said...

I found a roach in my kitchen today. I freaked. My house is so stinkin clean so it must have come from a dirty neighbor or something lol.

Amy said...

Those pictures are hilarious, Victoria! Loved them!