Sunday, June 15

Dear Daddy

Dear Daddy,
I love you so much, and I'm writing this letter just for you to see when you miss us. I know you love playing Lego's with me so much and you should have worn your helmet. I really miss you so much. You're the greatest Dad on earth, the best I've ever had. I like playing Lego knights with you, beads and dice, and castle battle. I love you coming to Angela's house and working. You're a good son to my Grandma and Grandpa, and I love you so much no matter what you do wrong. You're still my best Dad in heaven.
I have been playing Lego's, and building big ships sometimes. I've also been going to Angela's, and played one of Tanis's games that was really fun. I've been drawing cars, and I drew a rocket car, and a weapon car, and a girl frog car. I drew another rocket car with wheels instead of a jet. I have also been drawing pictures of church and at primary. I have been having lots of fun.
I want you to know that you're still our Dad in heaven, and you have earned your favorite present, this letter.

Love,
Jeremy, 5 (so you know I haven't had a birthday yet)

Dear Daddy,
You're my best Dad in the whole world. You're my good Dad. If you were here I would play games with you. I would help you to build a house all day when I get big. I had a birthday a long time ago, and we had Christmas a long time ago too. I will send you a letter, and I want you to send a letter to me, because you're my Dad, and you have to do that. You don't get angry at me. If Jeremy hits me, I do not hit him back, and you don't hit me either. Daddy is my Dad forever. I'm going to send him this letter, and Mommy and Daddy and me and Jeremy and Brooklyn and Jazz are going to send a letter too. I don't want Jazz to rip my letter.

Love,
Kadon

Dear Ammon,
Today is Father's Day. I asked the children to dictate letters to you, and even though Kadon's came out a little bit disjointed, I know you're still enjoying it somewhere. You would have been proud of us yesterday, I took the kids to a BBQ in Indianapolis all by myself. I packed the kids up in the car and we struck out with our Mapquest directions. I was pretty apprehensive about getting together with the other widows, people I've never met before, but it went really well. Jeremy swam all day, you wouldn't have believed how wonderfully he did. Kadon and Brooklyn both clung to me pretty much the entire day, but it still managed to be a good day. We had planned to stay the night there and come home this morning, but around 6 o'clock last night I decided that it would be easier to leave at bedtime and let the kids sleep all the way home, rather than attempt to make the drive with them awake this morning. I laughed a little bit as I loaded them up, because I know that's something that you would never have allowed us to do.
Today the plan is to visit you at the cemetery after lunch, and then get together with the extended terHorst/Thompson family, along with your parents, and celebrate Father's Day. I am glad that there is something planned, but it only dulls the ache of missing you today a little bit. I wish that you were here with us today, babe. I would love to have prepared a nice breakfast for you, and spent the previous weeks thinking up cute little things for the kids to do for you today. The kids shouldn't have to visit their father's grave for this holiday, but you already knew that. I know you're somewhere near, still keeping us company. I wish it wasn't so hollow for all of us, but I know you're doing the best you can to get through this, just like we are. We miss you, babe. The kids miss you. Be patient with us as we stumble through this life without you, okay?

Love,
Me

3 comments:

SarahAnne said...

These letters are so touching. A great idea, Victoria. I hope it helped your boys, and you. It had to be a hard day for you guys. (((HUGS)))

Unknown said...

Those letters were beautiful. *hugs*

Amy said...

Loved the letters. My heart just aches for you.

Amy