Saturday, June 7

Riding a Bike

Last summer I asked Ammon to teach Jeremy to ride his bike without training wheels, but after watching Jeremy ride around the parking lot a few times, Ammon decided that Jeremy wasn't quite ready yet. After securing a promise from Ammon that he would take the time to teach him this summer, I resigned myself to another year of training wheels that break occasionally. Last week, Jeremy was asking again about learning to ride his bike, so when I made plans to go to Dayton on Friday, I called Russ to ask if he would be willing to come to Angela's house and work with Jeremy on the bike. After dinner, Russ and Jeremy went out, Jeremy donned his helmet, and the lesson began. Jeremy did pretty well, and was only a little wobbly. My heart broke a little bit, though, watching them. As wonderful as it is that Jeremy has a grandfather that is more than willing to sacrifice his back to push Jeremy around on his bicycle, I know that it's a rite of passage for Jeremy. It's a rite of passage that only a father should enjoy, and one Ammon and I had been plotting for sometime.

As grateful as I am that Russ took the time to work with him last night, Jeremy's father should have been the one holding onto the bike seat, not his grandfather. How many more of these painful rites of passage is Ammon going to miss?

2 comments:

Nancy Seaman said...

My sister told me to read your blog. I had a stillborn baby eight years ago. The best resource I found to deal with my grief was the centering corporation. They have an online website. If I had tons of money I would give it to these people to continue their marvelous work. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve one!

Amy said...

Oh, Victoria! I just don't know what to say. I read all your posts and don't comment often, but I want you to know I think of you and your kids constantly. Love ya, Amy aka sjmjsmom