Tuesday, July 11

Friends Forever

Ahhh. I love friends. I mean, the really good friends that are willing to take care of you, and to perk you up on those days that you just feel like crushing somebody's skull. Not any skull in particular, mind you, but you do get the feeling that your hands would fit quite nicely around the skull of a three year old. Now, don't get any ideas. I said not any skull in particular....

Anyway, today was one of those days. I went to the grocery store (again!) to get just a couple of things, and had to run several other errands in town. With gas prices skyrocketing, I try to only make one trip into Logan a week, so all of my Logan errands get condensed into one long, miserable day. Luckily today I only had 3 or 4 places to go, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but by the time we were done with the last place, the kids and I were all ready to combust. I'm talking serious spontaneous flame here. I attempted to calm the atmosphere with a sinful Lunchable (mmmm....cheese and processed meat.....) in the van, along with a diet Sobe and water for the kids. It helped a little bit, at least enough to get us home and the children fed a real lunch and down for naps. I had just settled down for a snooze myself, when my darling Kadon awoke after only 1 1/2 hours of shut eye. Not nearly enough for a busy little 1 year old. After that, it was more endless fighting, sibling rivalry, and chores. I called my good friend to see if she wanted to join us for a cooling dip in the wading pool, when she upped the ante. She suggested that instead of retiring in our apartment community; where we would surely be swarmed by several panting children who seem to have a special honing beacon on any body of water larger than a bathtub and cooler than 70 degrees; that we make the trek to her house. There the children could dip in the seclusion of her fenced back yard, and while I kept a wary eye on the children (who managed to play together reasonably well) she prepared a meal of Tacos and......Angel Food cake. Yep, that's right. Angel Food complete with strawberries and fat free cool whip. Did you know that Angel Food cake is a low-fat item? I think I have found a new best friend. Anyway, the moral of the story, is thank goodness for true friends. Taco bearing, fruit laden cake bearing, cool drink of water, friends. The kind that will blow up a wading pool for your kids (who, by the way, decide they don't like the cold water, after all) and will then provide an evening of entertainment. We might make it through this summer after all....

2 comments:

Emily Nielson said...

How did you get so lucky to have such a great friend?!? You must be living right ;) I'm having a lot of fun reading about this friend of yours, and wouldn't mind more comments about her now and then :D LOL
LYLAS!
Emily

Our Crazy Family said...

wow you are a good writer.
Cindy