Friday, October 10

Baby's First

We hit a milestone yesterday at our house. Brooklyn had her very first experience with phoning poison control on her behalf. We were all playing happily yesterday afternoon right after Jeremy got home from school. I was on the computer finishing up a couple things for school, and the boys were working on drawings on the coffee table. I looked over at the grouping a couple times, but thought nothing of Brooklyn playing with the crayons, markers (with the lids on!), and colored pencils from the boy's art kit. She was happily banging the various things together, the boys were happily coloring-life was good. Fast forward about five minutes later, and Jeremy yells:

"Mommy! There's something wrong with Brooklyn! Her mouth is all purple!"

Now, typing this sentence I realize it sounds worse than it actually was. At the time, I had no thought that he meant the dangerous 'baby isn't breathing' kind of purple. Choking never even crossed my mine, frankly. I moved quickly to her side, and was startled to see that, indeed, her mouth, her hands, and a large swath around her lips were entirely and vividly purple. I quickly found the source of the vibrant color-a small disc of dried watercolor paint. It came from the boys art kit, and it was the perfect size for Brooklyn to munch on. Jeremy quickly grabbed me a wet washcloth while I held Brooklyn's hands from touching anything, and once I got her face wiped off and her hands cleaned, I made the obligatory phone call to poison control. I have called so many times in the past because of my two rambunctious and busy little boys that I don't need to look up the number.

I exasperatedly told the operator what had happened, and she calmly informed me that the paints are universally non-toxic, and at worst it could conceivably cause her a small stomach ache. She recommended that I give her a drink of water, which I did immediately. So far, no ill effects have been noticed. I'm bracing myself, however, for that vibrantly purple diaper that I know is headed my way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad it wasn't more serious.

Once I had to call PC and tell them my twins ate Vagasil. That was quite embarrassing. Apparently that stuff only causes a bad case of diarrhea.

Laura said...

What a right of passage of childhood - the first poison control call! I think Brooklyn is quite girly to pick a vibrant purple poison instead of the mundane yellow or brown.