Saturday, October 4

My Invinceable Summer

As many of you already know, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Twice a year-in April and October-the members of the church from all over the world and all walks of life halt activities for two days and gather around church buildings, radios, televisions, and computers. There is a conference center in Utah that holds 21,000 people, and is always full to capacity for each of the four two-hour sessions of General Conference. The sessions are held on Saturday and Sunday-one in the morning and one in the afternoon on both days-and it's a great opportunity to gather around and listen to the words of our leaders. Speakers are selected months in advance, and prayerfully prepare talks with a mind to comfort, uplift, and guide the members of the church. Generally, our family has made it a habit to view the Saturday morning session, and both sessions on Sunday. Last time General Conference came around was the Sunday before Ammon's death, and we watched the Sunday morning session on the sofa, which we had turned around to face the computer. We all played conference bingo, which consists of listening to the speakers, and as they each say a variety of words, you place a small candy on the squares, which hold the randomly selected words. When you achieve five in a row, you are able to eat your candy and start all over again. We had a fabulous time playing conference bingo that day, and even Ammon got in on the action that day.

This weekend, in conjunction with celebrating Brooklyn's birth, we are watching Conference. My mother is here visiting from Utah, and we sat down together to watch the morning session. As it always seems, many of the talks were directly relevant to my life. They spoke of hope, of faith, and of having an attitude of gratitude and gratefulness. They spoke of the burdens we all carry, and of carrying on through the dark, burdensome days of our lives. They spoke of loneliness and despair, and of the enduring faith that we must have to carry us through these difficult times. One of the most beloved leaders, Joseph B. Wirthlin, said in the afternoon session that the principle of compensation is real. It has been promised that for every tear, every sorrow, every pain of this life, those that are faithful will be compensated 100 fold. It was so comforting to hear that. These are truths that are familiar to me--but it was incredibly uplifting to hear them spoken so powerfully and spiritually. I was moved to tears many times, and can't wait to get the talks in writing so that I can more fully study them. The last speaker, Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, spoke of despair and the many trials that are inevitable in life. He counseled us that through the winters of our lives-through the dark days and oppressive cold, we must find within ourselves our invincible summer. I feel inspired and hopeful to find MY inner invincible summer. I am so grateful that I was able to listen to both sessions today, and look forward to being further enlightened tomorrow. How wonderful it is that we have a living prophet and servants of the Lord that speak to us today. How wonderful that they prayerfully seek out the topics, and the words that will best edify and uplift their people. How grateful I am that I was able to be uplifted and edified today.

7 comments:

Camara said...

Hey Victoria,
Im glad you were able to watch conference today. You're doing better than me. I went yard sale hopping all morning and barely remembered conference was on! I will be sure to watch tomorrow though! When you were talking about how the talks helped you I remembered thinking of you while watching the most recent Relief Society Session. Im not sure if you were able to watch...if you were then Im sure you get what I am talking about, but if you didnt you should try to find it. I had a hard time focusing since I watched it on the BYU channel at home and kids were obnoxious, but I did hear some things that may have helped me if I were in your situation. Happy Birthday to little Brooklyn! I didnt realize she was so close to Nolan. His birthday is here in 3 weeks. It went by way to fast!

Our Crazy Family said...

I am glad you enjoyed Conference. I hope that you enjoy todays conference as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROOKLYN! sorry its a day late!

David and Alisha said...

I also loved Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk and immediatly thought of you when he made reference to that beautiful promise. Have a good visit with your mom. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROOKLYN!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Brooklyn! It's hard to believe she's a year old already. Isn't it wonderful how the conference talks can speak to us all personally on so many different levels. I am so happy you were able to find some comfort this weekend.

I thought of you today when Uchdorf spoke of the young widow and those who helped her and I pray that you have recieved and are still recieving the help and comfort that you need.

Sarah Jayne said...

Oops, that message was from me, I'm at my parents and I didn't notice it was signed in under my nephew. I hope you are able to find more peace today! and have fun with the birthday girl!

SarahAnne said...

The meetings were great, weren't they? I, too, came away hopeful and renewed. I haven't felt hopeless, but I still absorbed the message of hope and faith. ITA it was so great to come away so uplifted and edified!

Laura said...

I too was thinking of you during the conference. I was praying that you were finding comfort in the gospel. After all, gospel litterally means "the good news!"